Friday, May 9, 2008

I've been tagged

Well my friend Christy tagged me to do some task. I'm not too sure what it is but here goes. (I hope you're happy Christy, I don't do this for just anyone!)

Pick up the nearest book (one with at least 123 pages)
Open to page 123
Find the 5th Sentence
Post the next 3 sentences
Tag 5 people

"He cleared his throat. 'I am here, as i'm sure you know, because of Albus Dumbledore's will.' Harry, Ron and Hermione looked at one another."

Since I'm in the living room and my current reads are in my room, the last installment of Harry Potter on the coffee table will have to do. As for tagging 5 people, well I don't know if 5 people read my blog. But ok just for fun.

Aaron, Melissa, Shayla,Erin and Jodi.

Speaking of books, last week I read a WONDERFUL book called Marley and Me by John Grogan. It's so enjoyable, probably a bit more so if you are a dog owner or just dog lover. By chapter 4 I had already laughed out loud and, yes, cried. There's just something about dogs.

I've always liked them but I never thought I'd be the owner of not 1 but 2 Huskies. I have my husband to thank for that. Nathan had wanted a dog his whole life so when we were married he figured enough was enough. I was alright with the idea, I just didn't want to be living in an apartment (as we were) when we got a dog. Well long story short, to avoid a divorce (ever had one of those? :) we got our first dog, Kya.

She was spunky and had/has a will of her own. She's very smart and super sweet, but not very cuddly. Seeing that we had a new dog that I wasn't totally comfortable with yet Nathan thought it would be a great idea to go to California for a long weekend. We'd had Kya for about a week. It was a disaster. I thought she was purposely disobedient. As if she knew she was making my life hellish. She nipped at me and found every way to avoid getting her harness and leash on.

I called Nathan, in tears, telling him that he must not love me to leave me with such a mean dog. The very next day on a night time walk around our complex, Kya got something in her mouth. It made a horrible sound and she kept pawing at her mouth. I couldn't get my fingers into her mouth without her biting me. I was afraid that something really awful had happened to her and that she was on the brink of death. I rushed her to the late night animal hospital. The vet assertively opened Kya's mouth reached in and pulled out.... a small stick. It had gotten lodged in her very back teeth. So much for the brink of death. I had gotten so worried though. I called Nathan when we got back home. Again, in tears. I was so afraid that we were going to lose her. I realized then that I loved her. How had that happened? She could be such a pain in the rear. But there was no going back now.

Fast forward about a year. As Nathan's birthday approached I started thinking more and more about his seemingly incessant comments about getting another dog. I thought that eventually when we had kids, it would be nice for Kya to have a play mate. That way when we were just a bit too busy to play with her, it would be comforting to know she wouldn't feel totally lonely. For his birthday I gave him a card with a picture of a husky puppy on it. 3 months later Pepper joined us.


Aside from being gentle and sweet, the two are opposites. As a puppy Kya had no problem in her crate. Pepper kept Nathan up all night the first night with her whining. Kya was quite large when we got her, Pepper about 3 times smaller. Pepper loves to cuddle, follows either Nathan or I around most of the time. She's also a heavy breather. We always know when she's getting closer. It's either her, or some perv. We're always happy when it turns out that it's the former not the latter :)


So after 2 years of being dog owners, fur all over the place, a backyard of land mines, chewed up wood work in the house and dog food and vet bills worked into the budget.. we couldn't be happier! Here's to you Kya and Pepper. You certainly keep us entertained!

1 comments:

Christy said...

Oh! I love your dogs!! :) And I can't wait to have some (or even one!) of our own. Then you can house sit for us too!

And, thanks for the tag...it was my first time to eve do it. And I must say, you gotta love Harry Potter.

 
House of Spice. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino