Monday, August 10, 2009

Hot Tamale Train

My favorite show, So You Think You Can Dance, ended this week. It's definately a minor obsession with Nathan and I, and by that I mean that we still have each episode on our DVR. One of these days I'm sure we'll learn some of our favorite dances from the show and bust the new moves out at a wedding reception or something like that.

Luckily the show is moving to the fall line up so a new season is not too far off. Since I was thinking about how much I like the show, I thought I'd take some time to expound some of the best parts about it (according to me) for you non believers.

1)The judges: Forget the bickering and snide remarks of American Idol judges. The SYTYCD judges are FUNNY,FUNNY,FUNNY and actually seem to like each other (novel idea) as well as the contestants they are critiquing (pretty sure I spelled that wrong). They are a breath of fresh air

2)Mary Murphy: She is one of the judges. Some people love her, some love to hate her. I'm in the love her camp. She is wild, she is crazy and she is LOUD!! The dancers live to be put on her "hot tamale train" which means nothing more than a lot of screaming from Mary.
She also reaffirms her statements a whole lot, which I find to be an addicting characteristic of hers, yes I do. :)

3)the DANCING: I've never been in a dance class. Well, aside from my brief stint as a flocorico (sp?) dancer back in first grade. My sister and I were the only white girls in the class. It was awesome. At any rate, I've always enjoyed dancing despite my lack of training. It is incredible to watch the creativity that goes into the choreography as well as the physicality needed to dance the routine. PLUS, I never realized until this show that dance can evoke quite a lot of emotion. Below is my favorite dance from this past season, titled "Addiction". In the dance Kupono is the addiction and Kayla is the addict trying to fight against her addiction. LOVE IT!



4) The group routines: When all the contestants participate in a dance it is actually good, not gag inducing like the American Idol sing alongs produced by Ford.

5) It's interactive: By that I mean that during the commercial breaks, it's hard to resist getting up to show off your own awesome dance moves, or at least your best replication of the dance you just saw... not that I do that.

So there you have it. You now have five wonderful reasons to check out the upcoming season of this wonderful show. You know I'll be watching... and dancing.

2 comments:

Matt, Erin, Kaden, Sophia, Jack, & Leah said...

I second your whole blog entry! I love Mary, I loved "The Addiction" dance, and I love the show. Can't wait to see you and Nathan bust a move at Rebekah's wedding, NO PRESSURE!

OraLyn said...

rJanae, the first time I watched that show was when Chelsea Hightower was on it. She used to live across the street from us. In fact, they were the ones that bought the house from the Becerras, the family Ben stayed with for a while when he came to BYU. It is a fun show to wathch.

 
House of Spice. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino