Sunday, June 8, 2008

The power of a Compliment

I just recently read a post of a friend's blog wherein he talked about some really nice compliments he'd received lately. It got me thinking about the power of a compliment and why exactly does it have any power at all?

Some compliments make you happy but maybe you don't put a lot of stock into. For example when my first graders tell me that I'm the best teacher in the world. It's very nice but 1) they're in first grade, how many teachers have they really had? 2) At their age memories don't last too long. Unfortunately by the end of this summer some may not even remember my name.

I think other comliments gain power the more you hear them. I've never really thought anything special about my laugh but over the years as I've met new people on a more regular basis I've been complimented on my laugh. The first time I thought, "that was a nice thing for them to say" but now that I have heard it more often from people I feel I have a duty to share my laughter with the world.... just kidding. :) No nothing that dramatic. But at least I feel way less self conscious about laughing. I love to do it so much. It is nice to have a bit more confidence in doing so. I mean, if I would have been compared to a hyena on as many occassions my joy in laughter would have been squelched and I in turn would become an empty shell of a woman.

Some of the best compliments of all are those you receive in regards to something you are unsure of yourself in. I frequently worry about my cooking, as I don't think I'm a good cook. Therefore when my cooking is given a compliment it carries extra power because it makes me think, "wow, there really is hope for me!" Just this Saturday I went rock climbing with Nathan. I can count the number of times I've done that on one hand. It's not something I'm great at. So when he told me how awesome I'd done and how quickly I'd gotten up to the top... I didn't believe him. But he persisted and so now- I think I'll go rock climbing again.

I think we should make a concerted effort to give at least one compliment to someone everyday. It will get easier with time and it will work wonders on you and the person getting the compliment!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see something new on your blog. I look every day and get an uplift when I can see how things are going for you. We are praying that a really good situation will open up for you soon. It is such a shame that teachers in general are so undervalued. It has been a lucky few children who have had the opportunity of your teaching and encouragement. Love ya.
Mom

JB said...

Well now that I know I have a devoted audience maybe I'll be more of a devoted writer!!
Thanks for the comments :)

Jesse said...

Maybe if you quit cooking with sulphur...

Also, sourkrout. cut back on the sourkrout. But, not all the way back.

 
House of Spice. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino